The town of Kanchanaburi is about 129 kilometres North-West of Bangkok, Kanchanaburi War Cemetery is located on the Saeng Chuto Road which is
the main road running through the town.
The cemetery is located only a short distance from the site of the former 'Kanburi', the prisoner of war camp through which most of the prisoners passed on their way to other camps. It was created by the Army Graves Service who transferred to it all graves along the Southern section of railway, from Bangkok to Nieke.
Some 300 men who died (most from a Cholera epidemic in May/June 1943) at Nieke camp were cremated and their ashes now lie in two graves in the
cemetery, the names of these men are inscribed on a panel.
Within the entrance building to the cemetery is another memorial recording the names of 11 men of the army of undivided India buried in Muslim cemeteries in