We visited the church whist walking around the nearby reservoir.
The site has been a place of worship since 1615 and this is the third church to be built here.
The village the church once served now lies under the waters of the reservoir but the church and a few houses and buildings built on higher ground survived the construction of the dam and the flooding of the valley.
The name Scammonden is unusual and is possibly derived from the pre 7th century Norse word and nickname ''Skambeinn", meaning short legged, plus "denu" a valley, and as such may have referred to an early land owner called "Skambeinn" as in Skambeinn's valley, but equally could have some geographical translation as in a short valley or similar. The village is first recorded in an undated deed of the 12th century.