This is the emblem of HMS Onslaught which is four white cutlasses with gold hilts on a blue field.
The plaque reads:-
'PRESENTED BY THE LORDS COMMISSIONERS OF THE ADMIRALTY TO THE BOROUGH OF RYDE IW TO COMMEMORATE THE ADOPTION OF HMS ONSLAUGHT DURING WARSHIP WEEK MARCH 7th 1942'
Warship weeks were part of British national saving schemes during the Second World War where a community adopted a warship. A level of savings would be set to ensure enough money was raised to provide for the the building of a particular type of ship. The aim was for cities to raise enough to adopt Ballteships and Aircraft Carriers whilst towns and villages would focus on cruisers and destroyers. The total amount raised for the war effort is recorded as being £955,611,589 with some 8 No. battleships, 4 No. Aircraft Carriers,
49 No. Cruisers, 301 No. Destroyers, 25 No. Submarines, 164 No. Corvettes and Frigates and 288 No. Minesweepers being adopted.
HMS Onslaught (G04) was a Oribi Class Fleet destroyer ordered from Fairfield of Govan on 3 September 1939. She was laid down on 14 January 1941, launched on 9 October 1941 and finally completed on 19 June 1942.
Her motto was 'Fierce In action'.
She had a complement of 175 men and and was 105m long with a 11m beam and 4.11m draught. Displacement was 1560t. Propulsion was provided by twin Pearson geared steam turbines (30,000kW) giving a top speed of 37 knots and a range of 3,850nm (at 20 knots).
Armament included 4 x single 4.7 inch Mark IX guns, a single 4 inch Mark V gun, 1 x quad 2 pounder, 6 x single 20mm guns, 1 quad 21 inch torpedo launcher for MArk IX torpedoes and four throwers and 2 racks for 70 depth charges.
She took part in convoy escort duties throughout the war including the Arctic Convoys and during the Battle of the Atlantic, she also undertook patrol duties in the English Channel during the Normandy Landings in 1944.
After the end of hostitities she was deployed for training duties at the Portsmouth Gunnery School and in December 1945 she was detached to take part in Operation Deadlight which was the destruction of surrendered U-Boats in the NW Approaches. Between 1946 and 1949 she was used as a submarine target ship in the Clyde. The ship paid off early in 1950 and put on the disposal list before being transferred to Pakistan on 3 March 1951 and renamed PNS Tughril. In 1957 the ship was converted for use as an Anti-Submarine Frigate and remained on the active list until 1975. She was scrapped in 1977.