The church dates from the 13th Century and was built within the walls of the Roman Fort that once stood here.
A chapel and porch were added to the church in the 14th century and the tower was added to the west in the late 15th century. In the 16th century, the roofs were removed in order to increase the height of the chancel walls and new windows were added to the aisle wall. Major repairs to the building took place in 1685–6 and in 1711. A west gallery was added in 1736. The church underwent restoration in 1881 that included the rebuilding of the north wall of the chancel.
The church is constructed of sandstone with slate roofs.