The viaduct is located just North of Bolton near the village of Entwhistle.
It was completed in 1848 by the Blackburn, Darwen & Bolton Railway Company to bridge the valley containing Bradshaw Brook. The valley was later dammed in 1876 to form a reservoir.
The viaduct and its nine arches posed the greatest challenge on the entire line for the contractors. Having found suitable stone to complete the job, the main problem was transporting the blocks of dressed stone from Stanworth Delph near Withnell, along 7 miles of mainly impassable roads to the work site. In an effort to speed up progress the stonemasons were offered a previously unheard of rate of six shillings and six pence (32½ p) per day.
The viaduct is still in use today.