This was one of a number of fortifications constructed as part of an 1860's Royal Commission into the defences of the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth.
It occupies a prominent position on Bembridge Down and was designed to service coastal batteries along the coast and to serve as a last stand should the Island by invaded.
The fort is roughly hexangonal in shape and surrounded by a very wide and deep ditch, accommodation was provided for 4 officers and 106 men.
Work commenced in May 1862 and the project was completed in July 1867 at a cost of £48,925.
The fort was to be armed with 20 guns but this changed and the initial armament consisted of six 7 inch guns. These were replaced in 1893 by six 64pdr's and two 4 inch guns. In 1900 the 64pdr's were removed and in 1905 two 5 inch howitzers, three 9pdr's and 8 machine guns were installed, in 1907 the number of machine guns had reduced to 4 and the six 15pdr replaced the 9pdrs. By 1901 the fort was equipped with just two machine guns.
From 1880 to 1900 the fort was used as an experimental test facility for anti-submarine and anti-torpedo devices with cables running down to the sea to try and detect passing metal objects. During Word War 2 the fort acted as a coordination point for nearby coastal defence batteries.
The site was decommissioned in 1948.