Although post war shortages of steel resulted in her original all metal design changing to oak and larch on a steel frame she was launched in 1950 and delivered to Saint-Valery-sur-Somme for the Department of Lighthouses and Beacons in August 1950.
She was decommissioned in 1999 when she was replaced by a newer vessel, to avoid her being scrapped she was bought by a trust who have restored her.
Propulsion is via two engines, the main engine is a Baudouin DG3 150hp diesel engine powering a 800mm propeller with auxiliary power originally being provided by a 12hp gasoline engine. In 1954 the auxiliary engine was replaced by a Couach NC4 45hp gasoline engine, this engine was again replaced in 1965 by a Couach DX6 engine and finally by a Baudouin 4D106 65hp engine.
Her original crew consisted of a Captain, Engineer and 3 sailors.
Somme II was classed as an historic ship in 2000.