Culver battery is a former coastal artillery battery sitting on cliffs some 300ft above sea level on the East side of the Isle of Wight and is one of several fortifications built on the island.
For a number of reasons work on the construction of the fortification did not commence until May 1904 and was completed in July 1906. The fortification was constructed with two main gun emplacements built from brick and concrete each housing a 9.2 inch Mark X gun. A quickfiring 6-pounder gun was also installed for use as an anti-aircraft weapon.
During the First World War the battery had an important role in protecting enemy ships entering the Solent.
Between 1922 and 1924 the barbettes were replaced with new mountings that enabled the guns to be elevated up to 30 degrees, increasing the effective range to over 5,500m.
During the Second World War the fortification was manned by 118th Battery from the 527th Coast Regiment. The two main guns had by 1939 been improved upon again and now had an effective range of approximately 16,000m.
The battery was decommissioned in 1956 and the buildings demolished.