The name means 'long wooded valley' and now contains a chain of six reservoirs.
Part of our walk was along a disused railway line which was opened in 1845. It was originally built by the Sheffield, Ashton-Under-Lyne & Manchester Railway (SA&MR).
In 1847 the company merged with the Sheffield & Lincolnshire Junction Railway, the Great Grimsby & Sheffield Junction Railway and the Grimsby Docks Company to form the Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway.
In 1897 the Company again changed its name to the Great Central Railway (GCR) before ownership passed to the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) in 1923 and finally to British Railways in 1948.
The line closed in 1981.