In the mid-18th Century the site of the park was pastureland known as Spa Fields. Originally known as Bolton Park the name was changed to honour Queen Victoria's Jubilee. The park was constructed not only to enhance the town but to relieve unemployment caused by the lack of raw cotton due to the American Civil War. The site was bought after a review of possible locations around the town and in September 1864 William Henderson a landscaper from Birkenhead was appointed to prepare plans and to supervise the work.
Work commenced later in 1864 and the park was formally opened on 24 May 1865 by Lord Bradford, the opening was attended by an estimated 20,000 people, business throughout the town was suspended and there was a holiday atmosphere, a prominent feature of the days celebration being a public procession that started in the town centre.
In 1875 an additional area of land was acquired South of the River Croal and the park was extended.
The bridge photographed was constructed to connect this land to the existing park and provide better pedestrian links with the town centre. The bridge was officially opened in 1878 by B.A.Dobson who was at the time Chairman of the Park Committee. The bridge is constructed from lattice beams, cast iron and stone and has recently been restored back to its original condition after being closed due to safety concerns.