The fort was completed in 1707 and replaced a smaller fort which was constructed in 1667.
When St Malo was attacked by the English fleet in 1693 the fort was still under construction but in 1695 at the time of a second attack this time by an Anglo-Dutch fleet the fort played an active role in defending the city.
The fort had a semi-circular battery capable of accommodating 19 guns facing the sea and providing overlapping fields of fire with two other forts resulting in controlled access to the Fort Harbour and River Rance. In 1695 it held nine guns, two years later it was armed with 15 guns, including four 48-pounders and six 36-pounders, as well as two mortars.
A garrison of 177 men manned the fort.
The rear of the fort is protected by two bastions with the entrance gate situated between them, the gate is located a few meters above ground level to assist in defence. The bastions are also loopholed for muskets. Further works were planned to protect the entrance but these were never constructed.
The fort belonged to the French Army until 1885, in 1921 it was declared a national monument.