The first church on site was built in the early 12th Century and was probably constructed from wood.
The current church dates from about 1300 and was extended to the East in the late 15th Century. The church was damaged during the siege of Skipton in the English Civil War but was repaired and restored in the 1650's with the financial assistance of Lady Anne Clifford of nearby Skipton Castle who's fathers tomb was in the church.
In the 1853 the tower was struck by lightning.
In 1909 it was restored by Lancaster Architects Austin & Paley who had the galleries removed, a North Transept and new vestries added and new seating installed.
The church was struck again by lightning in 1925 causing a fire that destroyed the organ and damaged the roof.
In 1979 the lady Chapel was bult in the South East corner of the church and more recently a prayer corner was built in a corresponding position at the North East corner of the church.