She was originally built for the US Navy as the USS Hemminger (DE 746) a Cannon Class Escort Destroyer built during World War II. She was launched on 12 September 1943 by the Western Pipe & Steel Company in San Francisco, California and commissioned into the fleet on 30 May 1944.
She reached Pearl Harbour in August 1944 to train submarines, patrol between Pearl and Eniwetok and undertake hunter killer and anti-submarine operations.
In April 1945 she escorted a resupply convoy to Okinawa and during May and June 1945 she acted as a screen for a carrier group. In September 1945 she was detatched from the Pacific Fleet and undertook training operations out of Green Cove Florida before being put into reserve on 17 June 1946.Recomissioned on 1 December 1950 she undertook local operations along the US coastline with reserve training visits to Europe and South America.
She we decommissioned at New York Naval Shipyard on 21 February 1959 and then loaned to the Royal Thai Navy on 22 July 1959.
Displacement is 1,260t and she is 93m long with a 11.23m beam and 3.56m draft.
Propulsion =4 × GM Mod. 16-278A diesel engines with electric drive, 6,000 shp (4,474 kW), 2 screws.
Speed =21 knots and a range of 10,800 nm at 12 kn.
Complement = 15 officers and 201 enlisted.
Armament was originally
- 3 × single Mk.22 3"/50 calibre guns
- 3 × twin 40mm Mk 1 AA guns
- 8 × 20mm Mk 4 AA gunss
- 3 × 21 in (533 mm) torpedo tubes
- 1 × hedgehog Mk 10 anti-submarine mortar
- 8 × Mk.6 depth charge projectors
- 2 × Mk.9 depth charge tracks