Plans were originally drawn up for five docks in this area although only four were ever completed, the site of the proposed No. 5 dock was to the left of the photograph opposite the dock entrances, work on this dock was largely completed, with the dock being excavated and the retaining walls built before work was abandoned and the dock filled in again.
No. 1 dock became the regular discharging point for the Coopers sand boats, another of the early users of the docks was Fisher Renwick who launched a regular service to London in 1892. Another visitor from the early 1950's until the 1970's were the Guinness ships carrying Guinness in barrels and steel containers ready for bottling, these ships were frequent visitors returning empty to Dublin, this operation ceased when Guinness moved their operations to Runcorn.
During the 1960's in attempt to increase trade a heavy-lift berth was set up in No. 3 dock, together with Ro-Ro facilities for ships designed for transporting heavy loads.
A connection to the Bridgewater canal was built at Hulme Lock, up-river from the docks and this was extremely busy for many years with a great deal of cargo being discharged from the bigger vessels into barges for onward transmission via smaller canals.
It is hard to believe that this was once a hive of activity with ships of all shapes and sizes being loaded and unloaded, today no buildings, cranes or anything else for that matter survives.