The inscription reads
'This wall was begun the 4th June 1711 and finish'd ye 13 December 1711'.
The wall generally follows the line of Sir Bernard de Gomme's earth-rampart town defence's which were constructed from 1665. It is constructed of red brick with some blue headers in English bond.
The wall varies in height from approximately 4m to approximately 7m and at various points it is now incorporated in the buildings which have been built up against it.
Just visible to the left of the photograph is one of the large piers that form Victory Gate, it is constructed of two large ashlar piers with moulded plinths, cornices, and golden ball-on-cushion finials.
The plaque sits above a pedestrian gate to one side of the main gate with a segmental-arched top, it is framed by a royal cipher and crown.