The church was designed by Architect Edmund Kirby of Birkenhead and built on land donated by Lord Lilford. Materials were donated by John Holland who was a local colliery manager.
The parish was established in the nineteenth century in response to a growing local community of Irish immigrant families. The church was consecrated in 1869 and the foundation stone laid in 1875.Sacred Heart Catholic church photographed on 26 December 2014. It is constructed from squared rubble sandstone laid in shallow courses with ashlar red sandstone dressings and decorative banding, coped gables with cross finials and a slated roof laid in bands of blue and grey fish-scale slates .
The Sanctuary has three large stained glass windows by Meyer dating to 1881 with a further small window high on the south side, the roof is arched with exposed rafters and a scalloped central truss.
Originally a school built in 1888 was located to the South of the church but this has since been demolished.
The church closed in about 2004.