The bridge used to be a twin-track railway bridge, one of a number of swing bridges spanning across the Manchester Ship Canal. It was built in 1942 and replaced a single-track rail swing bridge built in 1895.
The bridge weighs approximately 300 tonnes and was built by Dorman Long. It is 80m long, 9m wide and over 10m high above deck level.
With the decline of dock industry in Salford, the bridge became redundant in 1981. It was refurbished in 1988 and floated to its current location to start a new life as a pedestrian bridge across one of the docks. The refurbishment included installation of a hardwood timber deck for use by pedestrians together with the removal of all the mechanical equipment.
The bridge was refurbished again in 2005 at a cost of £500,000. The decking was replaced with non-slip GRP planks and the bridge was repainted.
An interesting feature is the addition of an observation deck below its redundant pivot in the middle of the canal basin, this is accessed by curved staircases on both sides.