Spur Redoubt was built in 1680 by Sir Bernard de Gomme.
Originally constructed as a redan which was a crude triangular earthwork commonly used in fortifications during the English Civil War it was extended and rebuilt in stone and by the 1750's it had been transformed into a powerful battery.
It consisted of a small fort separated from the towns main fortifications and was designed to strengthen the seaward line in front of an exposed corner of the Kings Bastion.
Nelson's last walk on land reputedly took him through a sallyport in Spur Redoubt.
From here Nelson boarded a vessel which took him to HMS Victory which was anchored at St.Helens off the Eastern tip of the Isle Of Wight.
Photograph taken 30 October 2013.