The foundation stone of the church dedicated to St Anne was laid by Mrs Mary Lee of Alder House (whose husband Thomas laid the foundation stone for nearby St John the Baptist Church in Atherton).
The church designed by Lancaster Architects Austin & Paley and was completed in 1901 at a cost of £9,000. It provided seating for 450 people and was built on land given by Lord Lilford.
The building is constructed in sandstone with a slate roof in a gothic revival style, it consists of a four bay nave, North and South aisle, a South trancept, two bay chancel and vestry.
The building was refurbished in 2004 and turned into apartments.