A number of churches have stood here dating back to Saxon times and the present church occupies the same commanding position as its predecessors. A late Saxon cross was found on site in 1866 and fragments of stone are all that remain above ground of the earliest buildings on the site.
This building is a fine example of Victorian Gothic style architecture and was built as a replacement for its 15th Century predecessor which had fallen into disrepair. It was consecrated and reopened by Bishop James Fraser on St Peter’s Day, 29 June 1871. The cost (£45,000) was met by Peter Ormrod (1795-1875), a wealthy cotton manufacturer and banker.
The building was designed by the Lancaster architect, E J Paley of Paley & Austin and is built of Longridge stone. The Church is 156ft from East to West, 67ft from North to South and 82ft high. The tower is 180ft high and commands extensive views over the surrounding moor lands from which the old title of Bolton-le-Moors originates. The tower contains a peal of 13 bells installed in 1974 and is also home to the original 1699 tenor bell.