St.Peter's Church was built in 1768 at sole expense of William Wright of Mottram Hall who was Lord of the Manor of Offerton and Mottram St Andrew, he had a town house nearby and built this as a chapel of ease. The church was built on open ground on the outskirts of the old town.
The building is built of brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick and stone dressings, it has a slate roof and a square tower with an octagonal bell turret with a copper roof, the tower has a single bell dated 1768.
Although the original plan of the church was rectangular the church has had a number of modifications over the years including a west gallery which was constructed in 1782, side galleries were built in 1838 and a 1880 phase which added a larger chancel and removed the 1838 side galleries. Low vestry blocks were also added in about 1920.
The church nave contains the 1769 chair frame clock formerly in the bell tower, now restored to working order it is claimed that this is the oldest working public clock in Greater Manchester. It was installed just after the church opened in 1769 and was made by John Whitehurst (1713-1788) of Derby.