Plans for the tower were put forward by the Dock Engineer Jesse Hartley in December 1845 and following approval work started with the tower being completed in 1848.
The tower is just over 31m high with a 9.6m diameter at ground level.
It is often referred to as the 'Docker's Clock' and was was built to aid ships and people working in the docks as well as allowing ships to set their clocks as they sailed out to Sea. The clock towers bell was also used to confirm high tide as well as warn of fog and other hazards. The bell dated 1892 is located in an open belfry above the clock faces and was made by Mears & Stainbank of Whitechapel Foundry, London.
The tower is constructed from Scottish grey granite, sandstone and brickwork. It has a circular base that changes into a hexagonal column housing the six clocks which tapers to a castellated overhanging parapet. Originally a flag pole was mounted on the top although this is no longer there.
The tower also had accommodation on the lower levels presumably for the clock/ tower keeper or some other official.
Photograph taken Liverpool, 19 February 2014.