On the evening of 22 June 1928 seven coal waggons plunged off this bridge into the street.
A coal train was being shunted into sidings to make way for the London express when a coupling broke and the waggons ran away. They crashed through the buffers and landed on the butchers shop that once stood here totally destroying it. Miraculously no one was hurt or injured.
This bridge originally carried the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway over Westgate and connected Low Moor with Dewsbury when it opened in 1848.The line closed to passenger traffic in 1965 and to goods traffic in 1981.